top of page

CINCU

Cincu, previously known as Șinca Mare, Șincul Mare, and Cincul, is the residential village of the commune with the same name in Brașov County. Founded by Saxon settlers in the middle of the 12th century, the settlement is located on a plateau between the Olt and Hârtibaciu rivers.

In a short period, the Saxon settlement of Cincu became the administrative center of the Cincu Seat or the Schenck Seat (the German term "cârciumă" translates to "tavern"), and it is first documented in 1329. The first official mention of the fortified church in Cincu can be found in a privilege granted by Matthias Corvinus in 1474, offered to those who defended the fortification.

bottom of page