top of page


The famous artisan settlement, which is said to have been founded by St. Agnes, Agnita finds its first attestation in a document from 1280. customs or potters, but also on the existence of the large fortress that fortified the church with towers, which the guilds themselves had erected and cared for. This statute conferred on the Agnite the royal privilege of holding an annual fair since 1376 on St. John's Day, on June 24, the right to keep the seal of the Schenk Chair, the seat of the court, as attested by a document issued by the court of King Sigismund of Luxembourg in 1409. In the same century, due to the location of the locality near the border with Wallachia, King Matei Corvin grants the Agnite the right to condemn by execution with the sword, as well as the permission to detain in case of war half of the total men capable of fighting, for defense. city. To this day, the city preserves the archaic tradition of the Lola Parade, one of the oldest and most important traditions of the Transylvanian Saxons. The holiday takes place every year in January or February in order to ward off winter and evil spirits. In creepy costumes, lolols march through the city in the sounds of chains and handcuffs, with whips and wheels and making all kinds of farces. In addition to the draped black clothes, each lola's headdress is "larva", a hideous fur-covered mask. It is not known with certainty the date when the high-rise church was built, apparently, on the site of a former Romanesque basilica. Along with the triple fortification it has undergone numerous transformations over time. The three ships end to the east with an elongated choir and a pentagonal altar, which to the south has a narrow entrance for the priest and a late Gothic tabernacle. Above the choir was built a defense level with a wall parapet that masked the pouring holes under the archivolts that linked the counterfeits, abolished with the restoration of 1892. Contact: The keys are at Mrs. Inge Gull (tel .: +40/723/182 159) d-l Reinhardt Boltres (tel .: +40/733/081 225)   What you can do at Agnita: · A visit to the Orthodox church, built in 1795 · An hour spent in the Valea Hârtibaciului History Museum - Address Str. December 1, 1918, no. 29, opened by L-V, between the hours 8-14 - phone 0269.512.759, email: · Lolele's escape - the end of January + "More details": The central nave bears a semicylindrical vault with penetrations having in the south-western extremity traces of the former terracotta ribs. The original pillars with a square section, to which colonets were attached, contribute to its support. At their origins they had semicircular arches to which, later, towards the northern collateral, the route to the broken arch was changed. In fact, this ship that keeps the traces of a Romanesque arch is lower than the southern one and is provided with a grandstand. The southern collateral reaches the height of the central nave, covered with cross vaults, separated by double arches in broken arch. The church has three pillars corresponding to each ship, and the window openings end in a broken arch. To the west is a massive bell-tower whose six levels and gallery with railing from the slope reach the height of 44 m. The ground floor being descended opens through three large arches in broken arch, forming a porch in front of the main entrance. When the fortification works began, at the beginning of the 16th century, the guild of potters raised the ground floor, reinforcing it with a brick wall whose roof went up to the second corner of the tower. The interior was arranged on two levels, the upper communicating with a gallery that connects the two ends of the western tower. The portico was also equipped with a level of defense provided with shooting mouths and a gallery. Around the church three successive rows of enclosures were built, of which only four towers unrelated to the walls remain, those of the shoemakers, tailors, blacksmiths and customs. They were raised from the quarry stone and the river was plastered to the outside and initially defended the upper curtain. Access to the premises was made below the vaulted entrance of the north tower provided with a ridge. It belonged to the carpentry community. Tailors returned the tower from the south-east, the boots from the southwest, also known as the Tower of bacon, and the blacksmiths from the east. All four towers, with five levels separated by wooden platforms and provided with vaulted mouths, have the lower sides covered by vaults, except that of the tailors. They were accessible, like many other towers in the Saxon fortifications, via movable stairs. Between the first two curtains could be formed the so-called Zwinger. The last polygonal curtain included a trench with water, on the outside benefiting from defense n

Where to sleep

basketball vector clean logo.png

Unde mănânci

basketball vector clean logo (1).png
basketball vector clean logo (4).png


bottom of page